Monday, November 29, 2010

A Special Visitor

I have not had any one from America come and visit me yet, until now!! I am very excited for my new visitor who arrived on Friday the 26th. He comes all the way from Tampa, Florida. His name is Flat Stanley. My friend, Ethan, sent him to me. I am excited to show Flat Stanley around Rundu and part of Southern Africa. Since Stanley is my first visitor we wanted to share his time with everyone on my blog…

Dear Mr. Divins’ and Mr. Decker’s 2nd grade classes,

Flat Stanley arrived safely in Rundu (Roon-do), Namibia on Friday the 26th of November. He traveled over one month and 7902 miles just to get here. It was a long journey across the Atlantic Ocean, but there is a lot to do and see.

Something I’m sure he noticed right away was how hot it was. Namibia is located in Southern Africa. It is surrounded by South Africa to the South, Botswana to the East, Angola and Zambia to the North and the Atlantic Ocean to the West. The seasons are opposite here than in Tampa. Right now it is summer. The days reach 42 degrees Celsius, which is 107.6 degrees Fahrenheit. We are getting into our rainy season, it only rains from November to May then we get into our winter from May to July, which is very similar to winter in Tampa, cool but not cold. Then we have our autumn July to September where it is mostly windy and hot. It is very hot and I do not have an air conditioner so Flat Stanley would be most comfortable wearing shorts, t-shirt and sandals.

In Namibia we do a few things differently than at home in America. People drive cars on the left side of the road, we measure distance in Kilometers not Miles and we use a different type of money. For every $1 US Dollar it is equal to $7 Namibian Dollars. A liter of milk costs us about $14 Namibian dollars.

Some other interesting facts about Namibia…
1. Namibia has only been an independent country for 20 years, before it was part of South Africa.
2. There are 13 regions in the country, Rundu in the the northeast region called Kavango.
3. While the National Language is English there are over 20 different languages spoken in Nambia. In Kavango the main of the language spoken is Rukwangali (roo-kwan-gaal-ee). A common greeting goes..
“Morokeni” (moro-ken-knee) “Hello”
“Ngapi?”(N-gap-ee) “How are you?”
“Nawa, One Ngapi?” (naa-waa, oon-ey N-gap-ee) “I’m fine, how are you?”
4. While the size of Namibia is 2 times the size of California they entire population is around 2 million people.
5. The capital of our Country is Windhoek (wind-hook)

I know Flat Stanley is supposed to be home by the 13th of December, but since he just arrived I would like to invite him to join me on my Christmas vacation to Zambia and Tanzania. If this is OK with your class.

I am so excited to have him here. I hope you enjoy Flat Stanley and my adventures! If you have any questions about Rundu or Flat Stanley's adventures you can post them as a comment and I will be happy to answer them all!!

Kareni Po Nawa (care-en-knee po naa-waa) This means "stay well" in Rukwangali.


Here is Flat Stanley along the Kavango River. It is hard to see but the river is the border between Namibia and Angola. Do you see that town in the background? That is Angola!!Here is Flat Stanley with our Namibian Flag!!!

Flat Stanley and I went to go to the Regional Council, but since we just had elections last Friday no one was there. We will try again to meet the mayor!

No comments: