Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I could die a happy woman

It is the start of the new school year (our school year is Jan-Dec) and with the start of the new year comes the annual parents meeting. I went to one of my schools parents meeting. I was supposed to speak in front of all these parents, about 300, about my program and the new intake. I stood up and spoke made a joke in Rukwangali, it really wasn't a joke it was me saying "Edina lyange Kim, Ame mulizambeli koPeace Corps, Ame na hara mutete no mahangu" translated its : My name is Kim, I am a Peace Corps Volunteer, I like wild spinach and porridge! They seemed to find me very entertaining. Point is I did my speech and waited around until the end of the meeting for parents questions.

The last part of the program was a chance for the parents to stand up and ask questions. There was a woman who stood up, honestly I was not paying attention until she turned and pointed to me and said Kayec. I was told after that she was thanking me for changing her daughters(or son, the child changed each time someone told me about it) life. When the child started the program she did not speak good English and being in the program has brought up her grades and brought her out of her shell. The mother said that every parent there should enroll their child in the program and that it was one of the best things that could have ever happened to this school and child.

It was great to hear from a parent of the child. I know I can see a change in my kids, but to hear it from a parent was just the best year anniversary present I could have gotten.

No comments: