Monday, February 23, 2009

With love from Okahandja

Hey everyone I am sitting in a Internet cafe in Okahandja, a town outside of Windhoek, waiting for afternoon training to start. We had our site interviews and we will soon find out what language we will be learning and in a few weeks where we will be living. Tomorrow night we move into our host family's for the remainder of training. I can't wait to find out my language and job there are so many different things during the interview they asked me questions that made about kids to working on chicken and fish farms. So I guess we will see what develops.

The training center has been so good to us breakfast lunch and dinner everyday. Something I am excited about is tea time... twice a day we break for about 20 minutes to drink tea. Traditionally Namibians drink their hot tea with two scoops of sugar... its perfect!! The coffee is a little different it powered but with a little milk and sugar until I get used to it will be great. We have four pcv's here who are helping us understand a lot in these transition days where we are not given much information. We have been asking non stop questions since they met us at the airport two and a half days ago.

When we landed in Windhoek we found that over half of our group was missing their luggage and it was left behind back in the states , but as of this morning EVERYONE now has their luggage!! So good news all around. I will try to write more once we get our phones and I can connect to the Internet instead of coming to the cafe but if any of you are interested in sending packages we have found a few good tips

1. Write Bible verses on the outside of the box
2. When filling out the label put things like used books, toiletries, Learning material, Religious stuff, tampons
3. Tampons and deodorant are very expensive here so any time some one feels like sending some I will be totally grateful.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

WE (Erika and I) WILL SEND THE TAMPONS AND DEODORANT!!! What kind do you like???


Odd question to ask on a public blog, but it started with an odd statement... so it works.


-Aaron and Erika

Kim said...

Kotex or Tampax :)

and a good strong deodrant.... its hot here in Africa :)

I love you guys tell all the kids I said hello

Leslie said...

Yay for care package ideas! I'm glad everyone finally got their luggage. I'm jealous of the hot weather, we got snow yesterday... welcome March haha!
Love you!

Absinthe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Absinthe said...

Just cast a hex spell on the package. That works too.

Also, shaving your head helps with the heat.

Maybe get a camelbak? I'm sure you're not in the desert, but it helps.

Absinthe said...

Btw, just let us know of a more detailed list of what you need when you finally settle down somewhere.

Unknown said...

Please DO NOT SHAVE YOUR HEAD!! When it grows out you will have a frow...remember me as a kid!!